Ever wonder about the history of our town? Thanks to the kind contributions by Township Historian Emerita, Alyce H. Salmon, township children can do research right here online! (Those 3rd grade projects just became easier.) If you are doing research, or would like to read a more in-depth history, please see Mrs. Salmon's complete historical profile of our town (PDF). Other interesting people and events (PDF) can be found in further writings by Mrs. Salmon. Reproduced by permission.
A Brief History
With the signature of Governor George F. Fort to an Act of the New Jersey Legislature, Wall Township was established on March 7, 1851.
Petitioners from the inhabitants of this area had to vote for a new unit of governance in order to separate from Howell Township. New boundaries were described in the Act setting Wall Township as all that land from the Shark River to the Manasquan River, and from the Atlantic Ocean to the new Howell border (including all the seashore communities at that time). The new area was named Wall Township after Garret Dorset Wall, a United States Senator from New Jersey who died the previous year.
General" Wall, as he was called after being the Quartermaster General of the State, is noted for being the only man appointed governor who declined to serve. He did accept the position of United States Attorney for New Jersey before his call to the United States Senate. Ellis' "History of Monmouth County" states that Senator Wall's contemporaries considered him "one of the best known men of his time."
Wall's first Township Committee meeting convened on March 11, 1851 at the house of Isaac Ammermans. Chosen Moderator of the Day (Mayor) was Robert Laird, MD, who also assumed the position of the first Superintendent of Schools. Three committeemen were selected: James L. Allgor, Samuel L. Allen and Benjamin D. Pearce.
The first budget voted upon set the most funds for the poor with lesser but equal money for the eight free schools and roads... also included were funds for dog pounds and two pound keepers.
Written by Alyce H. Salmon, Wall Township Historian Emerita. Posted by permission.